Senate Passes Grassley-Backed Resolution Honoring Nation’s Law Enforcement Officers
May 14, 2020
WASHINGTON – The Senate last night passed a bipartisan resolution supported by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) commemorating National Police Week 2020. The resolution honors the selfless dedication and sacrifice made by law enforcement officers across the country to protect and serve American communities.
“Being a police officer isn’t just a job. It’s a calling. Especially during these trying times, officers across the country are answering the call and dutifully serving to keep our communities safe and healthy. They are bravely facing a whole new risk in the line these days and for that we are forever grateful,” Grassley said.
The resolution, which was introduced by Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.):
- designates the week of May 10 through May 16, 2020, as ‘‘National Police Week’’;
- expresses unwavering support for law enforcement officers across the United States in the pursuit of preserving safe and secure communities;
- recognizes the need to ensure that law enforcement officers have the equipment, training, and resources that are necessary to protect the health and safety of the officers while the officers protect the public;
- recognizes the law enforcement community for continual unseen acts of sacrifice and heroism, especially in the midst of the COVID–19 pandemic crisis faced by the United States;
- acknowledges that police officers and other law enforcement personnel, especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, should be remembered and honored;
- expresses condolences and solemn appreciation to the loved ones of each law enforcement officer who has made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty; and
- encourages the people of the United States to observe National Police Week by honoring law enforcement personnel and promoting awareness of the essential mission that law enforcement personnel undertake in service to their communities and the United States.
The full text of the resolution is HERE.