VIDEO: Grassley Discusses White House Meeting with Iowa Leaders and VP Pence
WASHINGTON – U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa discusses in a video address a White House meeting he attended Tuesday, July 10, with Vice President Mike Pence, Sen. Joni Ernst, Rep. David Young, Administrator of the Small Business Administration, Linda McMahon, numerous administration officials and dozens of state and local Iowa elected leaders.
The purpose of the meeting was to brief Iowa leaders on the administration’s priorities, including workforce development, health care, tax reform, the budget, labor issues, aiding small business, addressing the opioid epidemic, agricultural interests and the farm bill, trade deal renegotiation, education and school choice, infrastructure and water quality.
“They’re out here to learn about possible programs, present their problems that they have at the local level to those of us in federal office, as well as people in the Trump White House, and also for us to listen to what their concerns are,” Grassley said in the video address. “In other words, just doing the process of representative government. Representative government means dialogue between those of us elected and those that we serve.”
Other administration officials who led the briefing include: Deputy Secretary Patrick Pizzella of the U.S. Department of Labor, Deputy Secretary Eric Hargan of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Under Secretary Gregory Ibach of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Chief of Staff Matt Whitaker of the U.S. Department of Justice and Doug Hoelscher, Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of the White House Office of Intergovernmental Affairs.
Iowa leaders who were briefed include:
- State Senators Chaz Allen (Newton), Jacob Chapman (Adel), Eric Chelgren (Ottumwa), Daniel Dawson (Council Bluffs), Jeff Elder (State Center), Randall Feenstra (Hull), Tim Kapucian (Keystone), Jason Schultz (Schelswig), Mark Segebart (Vail), Roby Smith (Davenport), Jerry Behn (Boone County) and Bradley Zaun (Urbandale);
- State Representatives James Carlin (Sioux City), Megan Jones (Sioux Rapids), Timothy Kacena (Sioux City) and Robert Taylor (West Des Moines);
- Sheriffs Paul Fitzgerald (Story County), David McDaniel (Hardin County), Richard McNamee (Henry County), Jason Schluttenhofer (Wright County) and Stacy Weber (Lee County);
- Supervisors Alan Armstrong (Page County), Chad Behn (Boone County), Scott Belt (Pottawattamie County), Casey Callanan (Cerro Gordo County), Kim Chapman (Dallas County), Richard Crouch (Mills County), Roger Cupples (Jasper County), Mark Hanson (Dallas County), Karl Helgevold (Wright County), Douglas Kamm (Floyd County), Lonnie Mayberry (Mills County), Delores Sandquist (Jefferson County), Jack Seward (Washington County) and Douglas Shull (Warren County); and
- Mayor David Krutzfeldt (Oskaloosa).